- The Washington Times - Monday, October 24, 2016

A gay couple said they’ve been the target of threats and harassment from the LGBT community after they declared their support for Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump in a video posted earlier this month.

The Wall Street Journal’s Jason Bellini posted a video on Facebook of Dewey Lainhart, 31, and his fiance Cody Moore, 22, attending Mr. Trump’s rally in Cincinnati on Oct. 13.

“I’m tired of the bulls— government,” Mr. Lainhart explained in the video. “It’s time for a change, and Trump’s the man for it.”

“Plus I really feel like he would bring more jobs to the country,” added Mr. Moore.

Many commenters on the video ridiculed the couple as “rednecks” and accused them of being hypocritical for backing a conservative candidate.

The men told The Journal that they had since received hundreds of hateful messages and death threats from gay people warning them not to leave their house or go to any gay clubs.

“The gay community is not a very supportive group,” Mr. Moore said.

Mr. Lainhart said he carries a gun and remained vigilant in the wake of the backlash.

The Journal’s video didn’t include the men’s names, but Will Kohler, a gay activist behind the blog Back2Stonewall, identified them both and told readers to reach out to the men directly to engage in a “civil conversation.”

Mr. Kohler told The Journal that he found it “disheartening” that people were threatening the couple.

“But a lot of people might find it hateful itself to support a man who if selected will take away all the rights and … equality that the LGBT community has made over the past 45 years,” he said.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide