- The Washington Times - Monday, August 21, 2017

Jeffrey Lord, the conservative pundit whom CNN fired earlier this month after a facetious tweet using the words of a Nazi salute, is in talks to join Breitbart, the Daily Beast is reporting.

The Daily Beast cited two unnamed sources “familiar with the situation” who said that Breitbart reached out to Mr. Lord, a former Reagan White House aide, subsequent to his firing. 

Breitbart has declined to comment on the matter, the Daily Beast said.

AdWeek.com reported on August 11 that after his CNN firing, Mr. Lord noted that Steve Bannon reached out to him in a phone call. Mr. Bannon has since returned to Breitbart after being let go by the Trump White House on Friday.

It seems unlikely that Mr. Lord, who regularly contributes to the American Spectator, could be returning to a cable perch, with Fox already passing on the opportunity to scoop up the Trump-backing pundit and with One America News Network executive Robert Herring telling the Daily Beast that OAN was “obviously not” interested. 

A staunch defender of President Trump, Mr. Lord was summarily fired by CNN on Aug. 10 for tweeting “Sieg Heil” to an executive with the left-wing media watchdog Media Matters. Mr. Lord had been accusing Angelo Carusone of fascistic attempts to shut down free speech.

“Nazi salutes are indefensible,” CNN said in a statement at the time. “Jeffrey Lord is no longer with the network.”

For his part, Mr. Lord maintains the tweet was a facetious crack meant to mock Media Matters for what he considers to be a fascistic effort on its part to silence Fox News’ Sean Hannity via a boycott campaign.

• Full disclosure: Mr. Lord was a contributing writer for NewsBusters.org when Ken Shepherd served as that website’s managing editor.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide