- - Sunday, January 29, 2017

At least six people were killed during evening prayers at Quebec City mosque, the mosque president said.

Mohamed Yangui, the mosque’s president, said he got frantic calls from people at evening prayers. Yangui, who was not inside the mosque at the time, said that he didn’t know how many were injured.

A witness, told CBC’s French-language service Radio-Canada that two masked individuals entered the Centre Culturel Islamique de Quebec.

“It seemed to me that they had a Quebecois accent. They started to fire, and as they shot they yelled, ‘Allahu akbar!’ The bullets hit people that were praying. People who were praying lost their lives. A bullet passed right over my head,” the witness told CBC.

Quebec City police confirmed that six people were killed and eight wounded, and one suspect was arrested at the scene, The Associated Press reported.

Police spokesperson Étienne Doyon said police received the first call of shots had been heard at the mosque around 7:55 p.m. on Sunday, The Montreal Gazette reported 

Doyon said two suspects had been arrested.

Quebec Premier Philippe Couillard termed the act “barbaric violence” and expressed solidarity with victims’ families.

“Tonight, Canadians grieve for those killed in a cowardly attack on a mosque in Quebec City. My thoughts are with victims & their families,” Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau tweeted.

Trudeau tweeted that he had spoken with Couillard and was being briefed by officials.

“We have offered any and all assistance needed,” the Prime Minister tweeted.

The Quebec City mosque posted video of the police response to the incident on their facebook page.

Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale said on Twitter Sunday that he is deeply saddened by the loss of life. His office says no motive has been confirmed.

The Montreal Gazette reported that a vigil is being planned in Montreal on Monday.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide