- Associated Press - Tuesday, July 11, 2017

CLOVIS, N.M. (AP) - First responders who helped pull a boy from a pond in New Mexico have been told to seek medical treatment after cholera bacteria were found in the water.

The Eastern New Mexico News reports (http://bit.ly/2t0QVOO ) Clovis City Manager Tom Phelps said on Monday that the first responders have been advised to take a doctor recommended course of antibiotics.

Cholera is an acute, diarrheal illness caused by infection of the intestine. The infection is often mild or without symptoms, but can sometimes be severe with “diarrhea, vomiting and leg cramps” and can lead to death if untreated.

Phelps said the water poses no danger “as long as residents don’t go swimming in the pond.”

The boy who was pulled from the pond on July 4 remained in critical condition on Monday.

___

Information from: The Eastern New Mexico News, http://www.easternnewmexiconews.com

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide