- The Washington Times - Monday, May 22, 2017

In the latest saga of will-they-or-won’t-they, boxer Floyd Mayweather said Saturday he believes the fight with UFC star Conor McGregor will happen. 

Mayweather and McGregor have publicly and privately discussed the possibility of the two meeting in a boxing match. 

The fight, even though McGregor has never fought in a professional boxing match, would likely generate enormous amounts of money because of Mayweather and McGregor’s trash-talking abilities. 

“I had a great career and my career may not be over,” Mayweather said. “Number 50 may be against Conor McGregor but we’ll just have to wait and see.”

Mayweather, boxing’s biggest star, made the comments following Baltimore native Gervonta Davis’ third round stoppage win in London. Mayweather promotes Davis and said he would like for him to fight on the undercard of a McGregor fight, if it were to happen.

The actual negotiations for Mayweather and McGregor to fight have been complicated. Because McGregor is under contract with the UFC, McGregor has had to negotiate a separate deal with UFC President Dana White that allows him to box. 

McGregor said he and White reached a deal last week. Now the two camps will negotiate the details with Mayweather’s manager Al Haymon and other parties involved, such as Showtime, who is likely to televise the fight on pay-per-view. 

Mayweather hasn’t fought since September 2015 when he beat Andre Berto by unanimous decision. He has never lost as a professional with a perfect record of 49-0. 

 

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide