- Gentlemen, start your drones: Judge’s ruling opens door for commercial use
- Soldier who hid, bragged about not saluting flag to be punished — in secret
- ‘Maverick’ of the seas: ‘Top Gun’ school for U.S. ship officers to launch
- Putin declares Sochi Paralympics open amid Ukrainian protest
- ‘In Jesus name, we pray’ sparks ire at Ohio council meeting
- Navy’s first laser weapon ready for prime time; drone killer to deploy this summer
- Billionaire backer: Rick Santorum ‘needs to be heard’ in 2016
- Obamacare fallout: 49 percent pessimistic; 45 percent ‘scared’
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
Bill Gertz is a national security columnist for The Washington Times and senior editor at The Washington Free Beacon (www.freebeacon.com). He has been with The Times since 1985.
He is the author of six books, four of them national best-sellers. His latest book, "The Failure Factory," on government bureaucracy and national security, was published in September 2008.
Mr. Gertz also writes a weekly column called Inside the Ring, a weekly column that chronicles the U.S. national security bureaucracy.
Mr. Gertz has been a guest lecturer at the FBI National Academy in Quantico, Va.; the Central Intelligence Agency in Virginia; the National Defense University at Fort McNair in Washington; and the Brookings Institution in Washington. He has participated in the National Security Studies Program at the Johns Hopkins University School of Advanced International Studies and Syracuse University Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs.
He studied English literature at Washington College in Chestertown, Md., and journalism at George Washington University. He is married and has two daughters.
Articles by Bill Gertz
U.S. officials say recent statements by Chinese authorities indicate fear in Beijing that a U.S. government default would endanger China's $1.3 trillion worth of investments in the United States. Published October 9, 2013
- Inside the Ring: Shutdown slows down Obama's pivot to Asia
Published October 2, 2013
- Kenyan intelligence agency had advanced warning al Qaeda-linked group was planning attack
Published September 26, 2013
- Inside the Ring: U.S. caving to Russia on Syria use of force language
Published September 25, 2013
- Inside the Ring: Syria, Iraq and weapons of mass destruction
Published September 18, 2013
- Inside the Ring: FBI targets Syrian hackers
Published September 11, 2013
- Inside the Ring: Russia reset paused
Published September 4, 2013
- Inside the Ring: Air Force on China threat
Published August 28, 2013
- Inside the Ring: Returning to military rule
Published August 21, 2013
- Inside the Ring: Army officer calls for purge
Published August 14, 2013