- Texas man arrested for powder-letter hoax
- Islamic State opens ‘marriage bureau’ for single jihadists
- Drone almost blocks California firefighting planes
- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
Award-winning opinion writer Deborah Simmons is a senior correspondent who reports on City Hall and writes about education, culture, sports and family-related topics. Mrs. Simmons has worked at several newspapers, and since joining The Washington Times in 1985, has served as editorial-page editor and features editor and on the metro desk. She has taught copy editing at the University of Maryland at College Park.
An occasional panelist on Roland Martin's “Washington Watch” and Denise Rolark Barnes' “Let's Talk” weekly news analysis cable-TV programs, Mrs. Simmons has also appeared on BET's “Lead Story,” “Real Time with Bill Maher” and Mr. Maher's “Politically Incorrect,” “America's Black Forum,” Fox News' “The O'Reilly Factor,” “The Right Side with Armstrong Williams,” C-SPAN's “Washington Journal,” and “This is America with Dennis Wholey.” She also has been a guest radio commentator on NPR, WAMU, WMAL and WOL.
Mrs. Simmons attended the University of the District of Columbia and Trinity College. She and her husband, who live in Washington, have four children and two grandchildren. Contact Mrs. Simmons at email@example.com.
Articles by Deborah Simmons
APPRECIATION: Maya Angelou could not be pigeonholed. An uber social commentator of many perspectives, she was adorned with awards and accolades, and she wore them all well. Published May 28, 2014
- SIMMONS: The soccer stadium deal (wink, wink)
Published May 26, 2014
- SIMMONS: It's time to reassess anti-poverty policy
Published May 22, 2014
- SIMMONS: Face Forward nonprofit is truly paying it forward
Published May 8, 2014
- SIMMONS: Working the tweets: Prostitution crackdown to go live
Published May 5, 2014
- SIMMONS: Whom does legalizing marijuana really help?
Published May 1, 2014
- SIMMONS: Sterling, NAACP, two women, one lifetime
Published April 28, 2014
- SIMMONS: A HOT D.C. is point of no return
Published April 24, 2014
- SIMMONS: Let us not forget to remember warriors in war on terror
Published April 21, 2014
- SIMMONS: In D.C. budget battle, another who's-in-charge decision awaits
Published April 17, 2014