- Private investigators turn to drones to catch marital cheaters, insurance liars
- Sleep issues can accelerate Alzheimer’s, while mental exercises can delay it, study shows
- IPad metal — nickel — faulted for causing allergic rashes
- Rand Paul to Rick Perry on Iraq: Get some new glasses
- ‘Fact-Checker’ blog takes on Dems for their comments on Hobby Lobby decision
- Babe Ruth’s 1918 contract sells for $1.02M at auction
- Citigroup settles subprime mortgage case for $7B
- Archie to be shot saving gay friend in comic book
- Sen. John McCain on illegal child immigrants: Fly them home, now
- Pope Francis puts number of priestly pedophiles at 2 percent: report
Latest Abdul Rauf Items
My brother, Capt. William F. Burke Jr. of the New York Fire Department, gave his life to help others on Sept. 11, 2001, at the World Trade Center. The proponents of the Ground Zero Mosque have used the "freedom of religion" argument to defend the developer's right to build just 600 feet from the spot where my brother and nearly 3,000 others were murdered by a worldwide fundamentalist Islamic terrorist network. It is evident, however, that the purpose of this Islamic center is political, not merely religious.
President Obama's fixation on all things Islamic tripped him up again this weekend when he seemed to give strong support to the Ground Zero Mosque project, then quickly "clarified" his way into yet more trouble. Mr. Obama gratuitously raised the mosque issue at an Iftar dinner with Muslim-American leaders, a double dose of symbolism that drew immediate fire. But just as Mr. Obama's defenders had settled on a "profile in courage" story line, the president backed off, lamely parsing his earlier statements. The president's stance on the issue is now fair game.
America is surrendering in the war against radical Islam. This is the real meaning behind the decision to build a 13-story mosque and Mus- lim cultural center 600 feet from the site of ground zero. A New York City panel gave the green light Tuesday for the project - despite intense resistance from many families of the victims of the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks. Most New Yorkers and Americans do not want this mosque erected: It will be a symbolic monument to the triumph of Islamism in the United States.
A tectonic shift took place last week in the firmament of the war of ideas. Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich directly and forcefully took on Shariah, the totalitarian theo-political-military program of authoritative Islam that its adherents seek to impose on the entire world. As he noted, the United States is squarely in the cross hairs of Shariah's devotees.