- Algerian airplane goes missing over Mali: ‘Emergency plan’ launched
- Colorado judge strikes voter-backed gay marriage ban, but issues stay
- Brooklyn Bridge flag-swapping suspects identified by nickname
- Christian woman in Sudan spared for apostasy flies to Italy
- Iraq: 60 dead in attack on prisoner convoy
- Marco Rubio: U.S. at social, moral crossroads
- ‘We’re coming for you, Barack Obama’: Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL
- White flags baffle NYPD: ‘We’re lucky it wasn’t a bomb’
- N.Y. Gov. Cuomo’s office interfered with, pressured corruption commission: report
- Brit lawmaker: I would fire on Israel if I lived in Gaza
Latest Algeria Items
Will Germany and France win their Round of 16 games to set up a massive showdown in the Quarterfinals?
They know the eyes of the United States will be on them from thousands of miles away, and they say they are ready. The Americans try to reach the World Cup quarterfinals for the first time since 2002 when they play Belgium on Tuesday.
Substitute Andre Schuerrle and Mesut Ozil scored in extra time Monday to lead Germany over an aggressive Algeria 2-1 and into the World Cup quarterfinals.
With the United States only needing a draw to make it through to the next round, there is a lot of pressure on the Americans to get a result versus Germany.
Algeria has qualified for the World Cup knockout stages for the first time after Islam Slimani's headed equalizer gave his team a 1-1 draw against Russia on Thursday.
Algeria led 3-0 at halftime, but withstood a stronger South Korean second half performance to claim its first World Cup win since 1982.
Belgium opened its World Cup Group H campaign with a 2-1 comeback win over Algeria on Tuesday, relying on second-half goals from two substitutes.
Under coach Vahid Halilhodzic, Algeria has more flair and scores more goals.
When Algeria qualified for the World Cup there was a rare sight in the dressing room as Vahid Halilhodzic briefly let down his guard and joined in with the players as they sang "One, two, three, viva l'Algerie."