- California bans full-contact football practices in off-season
- Thune: Downed fighter jets show more evidence of separatist capabilities
- Obama tells DNC fundraising crowd: ‘I’m not overly partisan’
- Chambliss: Downed jet ultimately goes back to Putin
- Perdue strategy: Run against Reid, Obama, Pelosi
- White House: More changes to contraception mandate coming
- ‘Operation Normandy’ set to send 3,500 volunteers to border to ‘stop an invasion’
- Netanyahu’s spokesman: Safe to fly to Israel
- Oregon vandals smear cars with doughnuts, pastries, chocolate bars
- Obama’s ‘Katrina moment’ leaves his favorability factor at 42 percent
Topic - Ali Al-Megrahi
The latest word from Libya is that convicted Lockerbie bomber Abdelbaset Mohmed Ali al-Megrahi has slipped into a coma. The situation is reminiscent of the scene in "Godfather II" when consigliere Tom Hagen tells Michael Corleone that competing mob boss Hyman Roth's medical condition is "reported as terminal - he's only gonna live another six months anyway." Michael responds, "He's been dying of the same heart attack for 20 years."
The British government feared a furious Libyan reaction if the convicted Lockerbie bomber wasn't set free and expressed relief when it learned that he would be released on compassionate grounds, leaked U.S. diplomatic cables show.
He added, "There was always a chance he could live for 10 years, 20 years. But it's very unusual."