- John Podesta eats crow: ‘I apologize to Speaker Boehner’
- U.S., China race to finish line on ‘invisibility cloak’
- Obama ‘cavalier’ in hiding foreign aid order, judge rules
- Prince Charles: Muslims are driving Christians from Mideast through persecution
- Gitmo’s first commander: Close the prison down
- Google’s newest photography find: Just wink and shoot
- Detroit’s Heidelberg art project hit by 8 fires in 8 months
- Pa. police pull people over for random DNA tests for feds
- NASA pushing hard to get back into space game
- Harvard student to face federal charges for bomb hoax
Latest Andrei Sakharov Items
Last week Miami Marlins man- ager Ozzie Guillen told Time magazine that he loves and respects Fidel Castro. This week, reacting to outrage by Americans of Cuban heritage, who comprise a huge chunk of Marlins ticket-buyers, the team suspended Mr. Guillen for five games.
Approaching his 80th birthday, Mikhail Gorbachev joked about his age but frowned when he spoke of Russia sliding back into Soviet authoritarian ways he thought he had defeated.
Chinese authorities are warning the family and friends of jailed democracy activist Liu Xiaobo against traveling to Oslo to receive the Nobel Peace Prize on his behalf and have stepped up a campaign to discourage other governments from sending representatives to the investiture ceremony on Dec. 10.