- Sen. Rand Paul: ‘I am seriously thinking about’ running for president in 2016
- Sleet, ice, deepfreeze hit large swath of U.S.
- ‘Welcome to the edge of freedom’: Biden’s boots touch down in DMZ
- Obama: Hole U.S. ‘digging out of’ requires billions more in unemployment benefits
- Obama’s regulatory agenda will cost U.S. economy $143B next year: report
- Patriot Act author on James Clapper: Fire, prosecute him
- Russia P.M. Medvedev: No amnesty for political prisoners
- Michigan GOP Senate hopeful reminds government is the ‘servant’
- Christmas, by Congress: Members mull a 15-cent tax on trees
- U.S. unemployment falls to five-year low of 7 percent; 203K jobs added
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Topic - Andrew Miller
The Cavaliers have ended nine consecutive seasons with losses to their conference rival Hokies, and they've dropped eight straight games this season since winning two of their first three. The Hokies have struggled with three losses in their last four games, but still have a chance to win the ACC's Coastal Division, so the stakes will be high on Saturday.
Taylor Teagarden ended his first game with the Baltimore Orioles in stunning fashion, hitting a two-run homer in the 13th inning that sealed an 8-6 victory over the Detroit Tigers on Saturday.
Josh Beckett must have lasted longer on the golf course than he did on the mound.
When the Virginia Tech football team held its first scrimmage of the spring this week, coach Frank Beamer described the performance as "ragged."
Author Andrew Miller on Tuesday won Britain's lucrative Costa Book Award for his historical novel, "Pure," set in Paris in the years leading up to the French Revolution.
Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig and union head Michael Weiner smiled and exchanged handshakes while others in the room dug into knishes and pigs in a blanket.
As if running back David Wilson's performance in Virginia Tech's 66-13 season-opening win Saturday over Appalachian State wasn't impressive enough, Hokies coach Frank Beamer said Monday that Wilson was credited with 15 broken tackles during the staff's grading of the film.
A capsule look at the eight teams competing in the College World Series, which starts Saturday at TD Ameritrade Park Omaha in Omaha, Neb. (Coaches' records at current schools through super regionals):
The Red Sox have spent the offseason shoring up their bullpen, one of Boston's big weaknesses last season when it missed the playoffs for just the second time in eight years.
The Red Sox are keeping captain Jason Varitek.
"Actually, I don't like hearing people talk about that," Miller said, not a hint of joking on his face. "If that happens, it happens. But I think that's a sign of losing focus if that's what we're focusing on. Because this week should be all about UVa, no matter what happens afterward. It's the fact that we need to come out here and win the Commonwealth Cup."
"This is a personal game for me," said Miller, a native of Bassett. "I look back on my career here. We haven't lost. ... It is the most important game of the year for us, obviously. It's UVa."