- Obama’s regulatory agenda will cost U.S. economy $143B next year: report
- Patriot Act author on James Clapper: Fire, prosecute him
- Russia P.M. Medvedev: No amnesty for political prisoners
- Michigan GOP Senate hopeful reminds government is the ‘servant’
- Christmas, by Congress: Members mull a 15-cent tax on trees
- U.S. unemployment falls to five-year low of 7 percent; 203K jobs added
- World mourns Nelson Mandela and celebrates his life; burial set for Dec. 15
- Bill O’Reilly reminds: Nelson Mandela ‘was a communist’
- John Boehner says GOP should support gay candidates: ‘I do’
- Grass-Whopper: Pan-fried cricket burgers go over big in New York City
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Topic - Anita B. Brody
Last year, Manley joined the more than 4,600 former players suing the NFL over head injuries. And Manley's boisterous voice won't be found grumbling about the proposed $765 million settlement reached last week.
They were Hall of Famers like Tony Dorsett, Super Bowl MVPs like Mark Rypien, and longtime backups like Don Strock.
Tony Dorsett finds himself forgetting how to get places he's been going for 30 years, and his 10-year-old daughter complains they can no longer do certain things together because "Daddy won't remember how to do it."
The NFL and more than 4,500 former players want to resolve concussion-related lawsuits with a $765 million settlement that would fund medical exams, concussion-related compensation and medical research, a federal judge said Thursday.
The NFL has reached a tentative $765 million settlement over concussion-related brain injuries among its 18,000 former players, agreeing to compensate sufferers, pay for medical exams and underwrite research.
The text of the order that outlines a proposed settlement between the National Football League and more than 4,500 former players who want to resolve concussion-related lawsuits with a $765 million settlement.
The text of the order issued by Senior U.S. District Judge Anita Brody on Thursday that outlines a proposed settlement between the National Football League and more than 4,500 former players who want to resolve concussion-related lawsuits with a $765 million settlement.
The NFL agreed Thursday to spend close to $800 million to diagnose and compensate potentially thousands of retired players who develop dementia or other brain injuries they blame on the violent, bone-crunching collisions that pro football has long celebrated in its highlight reels.
In recent months, attorneys for the plaintiffs maintained a sense of urgency in private and public to get money to assist former players suffering today rather than gamble on a drawn-out federal court proceeding in a complex and uncertain case.
The NFL agreed to pay more than three-quarters of a billion dollars to settle lawsuits from thousands of former players who developed dementia or other concussion-related brain disorders they say were caused by the very on-field violence that fueled the game's rise to popularity and profit.
Here are questions and answers provided by former U.S. District Judge Layn Phillips, the court-appointed mediator who oversaw settlement talks between the NFL and the thousands of former players who brought concussion-related lawsuits. The settlement, announced Thursday, still needs the approval of Senior U.S. District Judge Anita Brody in Philadelphia.
The NFL agreed to pay more than three-quarters of a billion dollars to settle lawsuits from thousands of former players who developed dementia or other concussion-related health problems they say were caused by the very on-field violence that fueled the game's rise to popularity and profit.
The NFL and former players must try to negotiate a dispute over whether complaints about concussion-related injuries belong in court or in arbitration, a federal judge said Monday.
Players' lawyer David Frederick also called the NFL's brain-injury committee "a sham" that spread misinformation. Frederick's remarks came in a pivotal hearing Tuesday in Philadelphia on lawsuits filed by about 4,200 former players and their families.
At least 59 former players named in the litigation are dead, according to a review by The Washington Times. The deceased players aren't an abstract legal argument. They can't be fixed with a slick 30-second commercial about the NFL's safety evolution or mandatory thigh and knee pads or mouldering collective bargaining agreements.
Judge Anita Brody has announced on Thursday, Aug. 29, 2013 that the NFL and more than 4,500 former players want to settle concussion-related lawsuits for $765 million.
Senior U.S. District Judge Anita Brody in Philadelphia announced the proposed agreement and will consider approving it at a later date.