- Gentlemen, start your drones: Judge’s ruling opens door for commercial use
- Soldier who hid, bragged about not saluting flag to be punished — in secret
- ‘Maverick’ of the seas: ‘Top Gun’ school for U.S. ship officers to launch
- Putin declares Sochi Paralympics open amid Ukrainian protest
- ‘In Jesus name, we pray’ sparks ire at Ohio council meeting
- Navy’s first laser weapon ready for prime time; drone killer to deploy this summer
- Billionaire backer: Rick Santorum ‘needs to be heard’ in 2016
- Obamacare fallout: 49 percent pessimistic; 45 percent ‘scared’
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
Latest Anne Patterson Items
The State Department assigned a new chief of diplomatic affairs to the U.S. Embassy in Cairo on Friday, announcing the departure of current Ambassador Anne Patterson, who has served at the embassy during a the tumultuous past two years and has now been nominated to become assistant secretary of state for Near Eastern Affairs.
The U.S. ambassador in Moscow this week demanded that Russia surrender fugitive NSA leaker Edward Snowden, whose attorney said Tuesday that his client might file a lawsuit if Russia denies his request for political asylum.
The U.S. ambassador to Egypt has become a lightning rod for criticism among Egyptians who accuse her of embracing the deposed Muslim Brotherhood-led government, even as a popular uprising was building against it in the streets of Cairo.
Secular and liberal factions in Egypt's new leadership worked Sunday to reach a compromise with ultraconservative Islamists on a new prime minister, with a liberal economist emerging as a leading candidate for the post to run the country after the military's ouster of President Mohammed Morsi.