- House Democrats trying to force unemployment insurance vote
- Sen. Claire McCaskill to tackle sex assault at college next
- Judge’s order preserves NSA surveillance records
- Refurbished Pollock masterpiece goes on display
- Iditarod becomes mad dash for Nome
- ‘Burger King baby’ now seeks birth mom on Facebook
- Study: 2 percent of Americans have new hips, knees
- Friend: Pistorius shot gun out car without warning
- States wrestle with developing, restricting drones
- Japan marks 3rd anniversary of tsunami disasters
By David Keene
Conference showed that the values Reagan cherished still endure
Topic - Arthur Burton Schirmer
A Pennsylvania pastor whose first wife died under suspicious circumstances was charged Monday with killing his second wife and staging a car accident to cover it up. The accusations have prompted police to re-examine the first wife's death.
In a column published in the Pocono Record in October 2008, Mr. Schirmer wrote: "About three months ago my wife, Betty, died in an automobile accident. She was my best friend. I miss her. The congregation, Reeders United Methodist Church, misses her."
According to a police affidavit supporting charges in Betty Schirmer's death, Mr. Schirmer told investigators he was driving her to the hospital at 1:50 a.m. on July 15, 2008, so she could be treated for jaw pain.