- Pope Francis wins another ‘Person of the Year’ — from gay rights magazine
- Rep. Steve Stockman: Give my campaign $10, and you’ll get an Obama barf bag
- Putin: Russia to buy $15 billion in Ukraine bonds
- Expert: Obamacare ‘death spiral’ fears exaggerated
- Alabama firefighters dig for survivors of apartment blast
- Big Sur wildfire destroys home of firefighting chief
- ‘ ’Twas the Night Before Christmas’ set for mock trial to argue authorship
- Angela Merkel’s third term as Germany’s chancellor to be marked by move to left
- Mega Millions entices with record-setting jackpot: Half a billion so far
- Dennis Rodman heads to North Korea — despite execution, political purge
Latest Bashar Al-Assad Items
Around a gold-draped hall in Saudi Arabia, Gulf envoys listened to their host denounce the Syrian regime as an enemy of its people and the region.
Two other senators have endorsed Sen. John McCain's call for airstrikes to stop Syrian President Bashar Assad's lethal, 11-month-long crackdown on dissenters.
Syrian refugees fleeing to neighboring Lebanon on Monday said they feared they would be slaughtered in their homes as government forces hunted down opponents in a brutal offensive against the opposition stronghold of Homs.
Sen. John McCain, Arizona Republican, on Monday urged the United States to launch airstrikes against Syrian President Bashar Assad's regime to force him out of power — a call for dramatic military intervention that wasn't supported by the Obama administration or its European or Arab partners.
Syrian refugees fleeing to neighboring Lebanon on Monday said they feared they would be slaughtered in their own homes as government forces hunted down opponents in a brutal offensive against the opposition stronghold of Homs.
A gang of gunmen disguised in military-style uniforms and carrying forged arrest warrants killed 25 police Monday, then hoisted the battle flag of al Qaeda in a carefully planned early-morning shooting spree in western Iraq, officials said.
Red Cross teams began handing out food and blankets in central Homs province on Sunday after days of delays, helping families who fled the besieged neighborhood of Baba Amr and took shelter in nearby villages.
Al Qaeda in Iraq, the Osama bin Laden-inspired terrorist group that sank the country into sectarian violence five years ago, is trying to make a comeback in post-U.S.-occupied Iraq, analysts and intelligence officials say.
Israel's foreign minister on Sunday offered to send humanitarian aid to Syria through the International Committee of the Red Cross.