- Best company ever? Veteran Beer Co. exists to employ vets, provide quality beer
- Iran official: Sanctions ‘utterly failed’ to stop nuclear program
- ‘Black Santa’ display at IU sparks student outrage
- Joint Chiefs chair Dempsey: Pentagon, VA too slow in merging medical systems
- Sen. Ben Cardin hits Ukraine for crackdown on Kiev protests
- Drone technology turns South, targets feral pigs to kill
- Puerto Rico caravan honoring Paul Walker ends in 6 drunken-driving arrests, 72 speeding tickets
- Better pack a lightsaber: House told space explorers could find alien life in 10 years
- Selfies gone too far? N.Y. woman snaps photo in front of suicidal man on bridge
- High times on D.C. radio: Toronto’s crack-addled Mayor Ford gets sports spot
Bernard L. Madoff
Latest Bernard L. Madoff Items
It is arguable now who committed the greater fraud, Bernie Madoff or President Obama. Madoff defrauded a relative few. Mr. Obama is defrauding the entire country.
I am utterly fed up with this administration's incompetence. It is costing us honest, hardworking taxpayers billions and billions of dollars. It's not just the inept leader of the "free" world who was elected without having any governing experience and appears to spend all his time campaigning, golfing, mixing it up with Hollywood celebs and denying any responsibility for whatever debacle du jour happens to get past the mainstream-media fortress. It's also the federal employees who are not doing the jobs that they are paid handsomely to do ("The nonessential spy," Comment & Analysis, Nov. 7).
Charged with trying to prevent the next Enron or Bernie Madoff scandal, the Securities and Exchange Commission hasn't kept close enough tabs on its own financial books.
Filmmakers from Richard Linklater to David Gordon Green to Whoopi Goldberg are bringing films to this year's Tribeca Film Festival.
Big Bird is flying high in the 2012 presidential campaign.
President Barack Obama deployed Big Bird in a new campaign ad Tuesday mocking Mitt Romney's vow to end federal funding for public broadcasting. Romney's campaign dismissed it as an example of Obama being small-minded while the foundation behind Big Bird's program, "Sesame Street," asked that the ad be taken down.
Sesame Workshop, the nonprofit company that owns Big Bird and the rest of the “Sesame Street” gang, asked the Obama campaign Tuesday to pull down political ads featuring the iconic bird and attacking Mitt Romney for saying he would end taxpayer funding for PBS.
As of last year, a married couple earning two average incomes would have paid more into Social Security that they could expect to receive from it. If the man lives to the expected age of 82 and the woman to 85, they would get back $556,000 of the $598,000 they paid into the system over their lives, according to the Urban Institute. That's a bad deal, and the ripoff will only get worse without major reform.
For years, pundits, politicians and columnists - including me - have fiercely criticized the United Nations. This institution has become a political cesspool controlled by totalitarian states and rogue nations that despise democracy, liberty and freedom. It's only getting worse with time.