- Judge strikes down Arkansas abortion law — nation’s toughest — as unconstitutional
- Court: Tenn. must recognize 3 same-sex marriages
- Russia claims to have downed U.S. drone over Crimea region
- John Daly shoots 90 at PGA Tour event: ‘I’m falling apart’
- Police: Man arrested in West Virginia may be linked to Alexandria killings
- Smile: Equipping cops with body-mounted cameras gains steam in Calif., N.Y.
- Obama to sign bill cutting taxpayer money for party conventions
- Half of Americans worried about second Cold War: poll
- Kermit Gosnell clinic aide who heard aborted baby scream gets 5 to 10 years in prison
- Iraq mulls law to let men marry 8-year-old girls
Board Of Public Works
Latest Board Of Public Works Items
More consumers are doing their holiday shopping online, but don't expect Maryland Comptroller Peter V.R. Franchot to join them anytime soon.
Maryland's State Highway Administration broke state laws by using $11.3 million in funds since 2008 for unapproved purposes and to conceal overspending on projects, according to an government audit.
The much-ballyhooed filming of Steven Spielberg's Abraham Lincoln epic starring Daniel Day-Lewis has been underway in Richmond for some time. For those in and around Capitol Square, it's hard not to notice, what with all the actors milling around in 19th-century garb.
Maryland officials on Wednesday approved Bowie State University's plan to spend $553,000 on 32 Steinway pianos over the objection of Comptroller Peter V.R. Franchot, who has become increasingly critical of the state's spending amid an anticipated $1 billion shortfall.
Maryland Comptroller Peter V.R. Franchot made clear before taking office in 2007 that he would expand the job description beyond collecting taxes, paying the state's bills and auditing its agencies, and he is living up to that promise.
Virginia governor Bob McDonnell, widely considered to be on the short list for a vice-presidential pick next year, is slated to be the keynote speaker at the New Hampshire Republican Party's annual fundraiser Sept. 26 in Concord.
King Memorial the backdrop for statehood fight; Homicides surge in Prince George's, decline in D.C.; Maryland's Franchot hammers Congress on debt; Court filing reveals more about Gaithersburg man held in Aruba disappearance; Nine victims now for serial slasher; Virginia adds $50M to surplus; MoveOn supporters target Maryland GOP Rep. Harris; Census: Maryland with more Hispanics, gays
Maryland Comptroller Peter V.R. Franchot lashed out Wednesday at federal lawmakers, blaming recent scrutiny of the state's finances on Congress' contentious national debt-ceiling debate.