- Elton John blasts Russia’s anti-gay laws during Moscow concert
- U.N.: Afghanistan slow to enforce law protecting women
- Heart cancels SeaWorld concert after ‘Blackfish’ documentary
- South Carolina sheriff refuses to lower American flag for Nelson Mandela
- South Africans hold day of prayer for Nelson Mandela
- Mandela not on life support in final hours, friend says
- Ukraine protesters topple, decapitate Lenin statue in Kiev
- Kim Jong-un’s uncle removed from North Korean state documentary
- Thailand crisis deepens as opposition quits Parliament
- Campbell Soup apologizes for SpaghettiOs’ Pearl Harbor tweet
Latest Brendan Shanahan Items
The NHL hit Minnesota Wild forward Brad Staubitz hard, suspending him for the rest of the preseason and the first three regular-season games for an illegal check on Columbus' Cody Bass from behind.
Philadelphia Flyers forward Jody Shelley has been suspended for the remainder of the preseason and the first five games of the regular season for his hit on Toronto's Darryl Boyce.
Nets used in NHL games could be changing as soon as this season.
The NHL is targeting hits to the head again, broadening the landmark ban that is only one year old.
The NHL's general managers agreed Wednesday with a recommendation to broaden the league's definition of illegal hits to the head, likely expanding the scope of a rule enacted last year to outlaw blindside head shots.
Colin Campbell is done serving as the NHL's chief disciplinarian, handing off one of the most thankless tasks in hockey to Brendan Shanahan.
Commissioner Gary Bettman believes the NHL will adopt a more balanced schedule when the relocated Winnipeg franchise likely moves to the Western Conference in 2012.
Hard-hitting defenseman Adam Foote remained a tough guy to the end.
Eager to keep their game fast and physical, NHL general managers decided Tuesday against recommending major rule changes to curb concussions, opting to push for tighter enforcement of charging and boarding penalties instead.