- Gentlemen, start your drones: Judge’s ruling opens door for commercial use
- Soldier who hid, bragged about not saluting flag to be punished — in secret
- ‘Maverick’ of the seas: ‘Top Gun’ school for U.S. ship officers to launch
- Putin declares Sochi Paralympics open amid Ukrainian protest
- ‘In Jesus name, we pray’ sparks ire at Ohio council meeting
- Navy’s first laser weapon ready for prime time; drone killer to deploy this summer
- Billionaire backer: Rick Santorum ‘needs to be heard’ in 2016
- Obamacare fallout: 49 percent pessimistic; 45 percent ‘scared’
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
Latest Byrd Stadium Items
Maryland safety Matt Robinson wasn't dressed for last week's game at Temple after his second shoulder injury in less than a year.
Saturday's college football
Maryland's 7-6 squeaker Saturday against William & Mary at Byrd Stadium did nothing to suggest the inexperienced Terrapins are poised to move onward and upward from coach Randy Edsall's 2-10 first season. In fact, it hinted the opposite.
There are no artistry points in football, a reality Maryland was no doubt grateful for Saturday.
Previewing Week 1 in D.C. area college football
Maryland's football season ticket sales are down 18 percent from a year ago, one last lingering hit for the cash-strapped athletic department from a rough 2011 on the field.
Devin Burns was a quarterback in high school. He played there for his first year at Maryland. And after a one-year stint at wide receiver, he's returned to his old position in an attempt to help out the short-handed Terrapins.
Maryland's spring game came and went Saturday before about 2,000 at Byrd Stadium, with a pair of touchdowns (a Brandon Ross run and a pass from Ricky Schultz to Nigel King) and one field goal accounting for all of the conventional scoring.
Defensive tackle A.J. Francis floated in and out of Maryland's lineup last year, perhaps the surest sign the Terrapins' new scheme was a poor fit for the multiyear starter.