- House passes VA reform compromise
- Obama admin to blame for HealthCare.gov woes, $840M cost: GAO
- Al Gore’s climate-changers at EPA hearings foiled by cool temperatures
- Army’s 3-D printed bombs will create ‘a whole new universe’ of deadly capabilities
- Hamas calls on Hezbollah to join in fight against Israel
- Senators to FIFA, others: Don’t reward Putin with the World Cup in 2018
- U.S. condemns Israeli shelling of shelter in Gaza
- Obamacare shoots premiums up by 88 percent in California
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- Obama to Republicans: ‘Stop just hatin’ all the time’
California State Legislature
Latest California State Legislature Items
Voters in Del Norte and Tehama counties vote Tuesday on Measure A, an advisory question that asks each county's board of supervisors to join a wider effort to form a 51st state named Jefferson. Elected officials in Glenn, Modoc, Siskiyou and Yuba counties already have voted to join the movement.
Former California Assemblyman John Vasconcellos, a colorful Democrat who was considered a visionary and served for 38 years in the state Legislature, died Saturday. He was 82.
The California Legislature is generally regarded as a fairly progressive institution, with a sizable gay and lesbian caucus and lawmakers representing an array of racial and ethnic groups. But one group has been dropping steadily in representation for nearly a decade - women.
On Election Day, the once and future governor of California convinced voters that "I have the preparation, the know-how and the independence to challenge the status quo." Now it will be up to Jerry Brown to deliver on that claim.