- Texas man arrested for powder-letter hoax
- Islamic State opens ‘marriage bureau’ for single jihadists
- Drone almost blocks California firefighting planes
- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
By David Keene
Allowing states to innovate could reduce dependency on bureaucracy
Topic - Carlos Maldonado
With catcher Jesus Flores nursing a sore right hamstring and the team having no clear emergency backup outside of Carlos Maldonado, the Washington Nationals decided Monday to option infielder Tyler Moore back to Triple-A Syracuse and will recall catcher Jhonatan Solano before Tuesday's game.
Sean Burnett worked through his repertoire pitch by pitch, knocking off the rust in a bullpen session typical of the early days of spring training. It would be a few more days before he and his fellow Washington Nationals pitchers had a chance to face batters, so Burnett was throwing for an audience of one - catcher Sandy Leon.
One of the student guinea pigs, photography major Carlos Maldonado of Mexico, said he's looking forward to his week in the pod.
"I volunteered to live in a SCADpad because the faculty had created a lot of buzz about it," he said.