- Texas man arrested for powder-letter hoax
- Islamic State opens ‘marriage bureau’ for single jihadists
- Drone almost blocks California firefighting planes
- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
By David Keene
Allowing states to innovate could reduce dependency on bureaucracy
Topic - Carlos Zarate
"It's important to keep in mind that depression is not just normal sadness," said Dr. Carlos Zarate, a psychiatrist with the National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH). "It's a state where you have significant distress, you might have impairment in your ability to enjoy things or to experience pleasure."
While clinical depression is a combination of genetics, mental factors and environment, Zarate says, the good news for athletes is that NIMH studies have shown exercise to be effective in treating milder cases of clinical depression.