- PHILLIPS: The benefits of defying ‘common wisdom’
- Judge strikes down Arkansas abortion law — nation’s toughest — as unconstitutional
- Court: Tenn. must recognize 3 same-sex marriages
- Russia claims to have downed U.S. drone over Crimea region; Pentagon denies
- John Daly shoots 90 at PGA Tour event: ‘I’m falling apart’
- Police: Man arrested in West Virginia may be linked to Alexandria killings
- Smile: Equipping cops with body-mounted cameras gains steam in Calif., N.Y.
- Obama to sign bill cutting taxpayer money for party conventions
- Half of Americans worried about second Cold War: poll
- Kermit Gosnell clinic aide who heard aborted baby scream gets 5 to 10 years in prison
Latest Carolina Hurricanes Items
Nathan Gerbe's third goal in four games broke a tie at 6:59 of the third period, and Anton Khudobin stopped 30 shots as the Hurricanes beat the Washington Capitals 3-2 Thursday night.
The Philadelphia Flyers fired coach Peter Laviolette after an 0-3 start and a preseason vote of confidence from ownership, a person familiar with the decision told The Associated Press on Monday.
Despite a preseason vote of confidence from ownership, the Philadelphia Flyers fired coach Peter Laviolette Monday after an 0-3 start.
Assistant Craig Berube, in his seventh season with the organization, will take over as coach. He is the Flyers' 18th coach in team history.
Jim Larranaga seems set at Miami for the rest of his career.
The Caps will have to go through a tougher division to make the playoffs and then to reach the East finals. They won the Southeast Division five of the past six seasons but went 8-10-2 against the Penguins, Rangers, Islanders, Devils, Flyers and Hurricanes this year.
It's Washington's sixth straight playoff appearance and fifth division championship in that time. It's also something that would have been difficult to envision at several points earlier this season. The Caps started 2-8-1 and were at the bottom of the NHL standings.
For the first 10 minutes Thursday night, the Caps didn't register a shot. But in beating the Carolina Hurricanes 3-1, they rolled to their sixth straight victory.
A groin injury kept Laich out for the first 28 games of the season with a groin injury, and he has missed the past three. He suffered a lower-body injury Thursday that coach Adam Oates said negatively impacts Laich's groin.