- Marco Rubio: U.S. at social, moral crossroads
- ‘We’re coming for you, Barack Obama’: Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL
- White flags baffle NYPD: ‘We’re lucky it wasn’t a bomb’
- N.Y. Gov. Cuomo’s office interfered with, pressured corruption commission: report
- Brit lawmaker: I would fire on Israel if I lived in Gaza
- VA apologizes to forgotten Marine veteran locked in Fla. clinic, forced to call 911
- U.S. social and economic trends on worrisome track, survey finds
- McDonald nomination unanimously referred to full Senate
- Chuck Norris honorary chairman of NRA voter registration campaign
- GOP outraged Obamacare investigators able to get coverage with fake IDs
Topic - Carolyn Chernoff
Come to Skidmore. Study Miley Cyrus. The Saratoga Springs, N.Y., college is offering a new course aimed at bolstering summer class attendance: "The Sociology of Miley Cyrus: Race, Class, Gender and Media," complete with studies of her shocking shaking at the music awards and discussion of female bisexuality.
A college in upstate New York is offering a summer course on Miley Cyrus and won't even make students do any class twerk.
Ms. Chernoff said to ABC News: "Unfortunately, the way we talk about female pop stars and female bodies, class matters, gender matters, sexuality and sexual performance matters, but race matters a lot, and the way we talk about white pop stars is quite different than how we talk about the bodies of women of color.
"I was teaching a course called 'Youth Culture' in and out of school, and the 2013 MTV Video Music Awards became the tweak heard 'round the world," she said. "I showed that video to my class, and the students had so much to say."