- Judge strikes down Arkansas abortion law — nation’s toughest — as unconstitutional
- Court: Tenn. must recognize 3 same-sex marriages
- Russia claims to have downed U.S. drone over Crimea region
- John Daly shoots 90 at PGA Tour event: ‘I’m falling apart’
- Police: Man arrested in West Virginia may be linked to Alexandria killings
- Smile: Equipping cops with body-mounted cameras gains steam in Calif., N.Y.
- Obama to sign bill cutting taxpayer money for party conventions
- Half of Americans worried about second Cold War: poll
- Kermit Gosnell clinic aide who heard aborted baby scream gets 5 to 10 years in prison
- Iraq mulls law to let men marry 8-year-old girls
Latest China Items
NEW DELHI — Communist Party leaders say they are trying to keep U.S. influence at bay and protect India's poor from ruthless foreign enterprises by blocking a deal on nuclear energy with the United States.
President Bush today defended negotiations over North Korea's nuclear program, saying they have been effective, but added that the communist regime must give a full declaration of all its nuclear activities before the end of the year.
The U.S. Coast Guard cutter Boutwell has sailed from Honolulu to Shanghai to pick up a Chinese law enforcement officer and will then sail on to the northwestern Pacific to look for vessels engaged in illegal fishing. During the patrol, the ship is scheduled to call at Yokosuka in Japan and Petropavlosk in Russia.
WELLINGTON, New Zealand (AP) — New Zealand refused several times to take detainees the U.S. wanted to relocate from its Guantanamo Bay military prison, a senior New Zealand official said today.
BEIJING (AP) — Grocery shopping has become a painful experience for Zhang Xueyi.
The Great Horned Owl is a magnificent raptor with feathers so soft its prey can't even hear it coming until it's too late. But even this superb hunter has a major challenge to overcome — it cannot move its eyes. To scan forest or field for danger — or its next meal — the owl, its eyes fixed straight ahead, must rotate its head. Today, the U.S. national security apparatus is much like an owl with a stiff neck.
XINTAI, China (AP) — Rescuers raced yesterday to pump water out of two coal mines flooded by a rain-swollen river in eastern China, where 181 miners were missing and feared dead.
U.N. kowtows to Beijing
An expanding alliance of Russia, China and four Central Asian states should not be seen as an anti-American plot designed to slash Washington's influence in the region, Kyrgyzstan's ambassador to Washington said in an interview yesterday.