- Gentlemen, start your drones: Judge’s ruling opens door for commercial use
- Soldier who hid, bragged about not saluting flag to be punished — in secret
- ‘Maverick’ of the seas: ‘Top Gun’ school for U.S. ship officers to launch
- Putin declares Sochi Paralympics open amid Ukrainian protest
- ‘In Jesus name, we pray’ sparks ire at Ohio council meeting
- Navy’s first laser weapon ready for prime time; drone killer to deploy this summer
- Billionaire backer: Rick Santorum ‘needs to be heard’ in 2016
- Obamacare fallout: 49 percent pessimistic; 45 percent ‘scared’
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
Latest Chris Pontius Items
There are eleven newcomers on the roster as United opens its season against the Columbus Crew Saturday at R.F.K. Stadium.
At 3-24-7, United became the first MLS club to win fewer than four games. Their 0.65 goals per game average is the lowest the league has seen. The minus-37 goal differential tied for the all-time worst.
Dear RG3, we like it that you say what's on your mind and you do so diplomatically. You aren't a clod about it. Please don't lose that trait. Just cool it for the rest of this preseason.
The victory was the first for D.C. United (2-11-3) since March 9 and snapped a club record 13-game winless streak.
U.S. coach Jurgen Klinsmann calls Hamid and 23-year-old Chicago Fire shot-stopper Sean Johnson "our future goalkeepers that we monitor, that we nurture, that we help in their development," noting that the national team coaches "want to always keep them connected to us."
D.C. United still sit at the bottom of the Eastern Conference with just one win on the 2013 campaign. But for the first time in more than two months, the club managed to avoid defeat Sunday.
Five years ago, Kyle Porter's anonymity evaporated. That tends to happen when a soccer player takes his career to a top-flight club in Germany — even an 18-year-old prospect whose only action would come in reserve matches.
United, who open the 2013 season with a conference final rematch at the Houston Dynamo on Saturday, began pursuing Ruiz after he scored for Guatemala in a 3-1 loss to the United States in October.
The MLS playoffs have been full of twists and turns for D.C. United. After a poor second-half performance against the Houston Dynamo on Sunday, the club will have to find yet another memorable moment if it wants to play for this year's championship.