- Airport assassination: Mayor, 3 others killed at Manila airport
- Tea party-type lawmakers take mysterious, off-books trip to Mideast
- North Korea warns South: We’ll attack ‘without warning’
- Congress sends sweeping defense bill to Obama
- Multiple injuries as balcony collapses at London’s Apollo theatre during performance
- Egypt rights center raided, 2 Mubaraks acquitted
- New Mexico Supreme Court rules same-sex marriage constitutional
- Blame Bush: 5 years later, that’s still the mantra, pollsters find
- Dutch prostitutes demand same retirement benefits as soccer stars
- John McCain to Harry Reid: I’ll ‘kick the crap’ out of you
Latest Christmas Eve Items
As my grandchildren and I cuddle together on Christmas Eve night and look out the window scanning the dark sky for Santa Claus, I will hug them and tell them that Santa Claus is as real as the snow silently falling to the ground outside. With great anticipation, we will sit close together and stare into the heavens searching for Santa Claus and his sleigh being pulled by flying reindeer. In my own grandfatherly way, I will tell them that Santa Claus will live forever in the hearts of those people who live their lives with compassion and love for others. That, I will tell them, is the spirit of Christmas and the spirit of Santa Claus.
Phil Jackson and LeBron James agree: Christmas Day games are not the ideal holiday gift.
The embers glowed softly, and in their dim light,
"I mainly started having an issue with ['It's a Wonderful Life'] once I became a fan of [Frank] Capras other works. Whenever I think of his career overall I consider 'It's a Wonderful Life' sort of on the outside. Maybe even more so than the 'Why We Fight' series."
Craig McTavish -- aka Santa -- has the beard. He has the belly. He even has a few tricks up his sleeve, like pulling up to parties on his Harley-Davidson in full Kris Kringle garb.
Although President Obama's standing in Washington has dropped a notch or two in the year since he and his family last spent their holiday vacation in this beach community, the thrill is definitely not gone for many Kailuans about his return here.
The self-proclaimed "toughest sheriff" in America, Phoenix's Joe Arpaio, who cranked up his Christmas music machine for inmates last month, has scheduled a caroling contest for interested pre-trial prisoners - with the winner to receive a "real Christmas dinner for himself and his cell mates."
This time of year, people may e-mail each other a story about a "golden" tablecloth from the World War II years.
If ever a Congress epitomized the need for more accountability, it's the 111th lame-duck gang. Sorry, that's unfair to gangsters. With most Americans distracted by holiday plans, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, Nevada Democrat, has sprung another Christmas surprise, vowing to ram through a far-left agenda in the waning days of 2010. Last year, he put a giant lump of coal in Americans' stockings with Christmas Eve passage of Obamacare.