- GOP hopes taking shutdown off the table with budget deal will pay dividends
- Chinese Death Star: The moon cited as the perfect launch pad for ballistic missiles
- Help wanted: Homeland Security plagued by vacancies at the top
- We are not amused: Queen’s protection officers warned to keep ‘sticky fingers’ off the royal cashews
- Unleash the crossbows: Gov. Scott Walker creates new hunting season
- Bubonic plague kills 20 in Madagascar
- G-20 diplomats fell for hacker attack promising nude photos of former French first lady Carla Bruni
- Minnesota guardsman charged with stealing private soldier data for fake IDs
- Florida appeals court rules universities can’t regulate guns
- Vladimir Putin defends Russian conservative values
Latest Claire Hopley Items
The news from Haiti is invariably bad. It spotlights corrupt and brutal politicians, frequent coups and regular interventions by foreign powers — usually the United States. Recently, there was the 2010 earthquake that devastated the country, leaving hundreds of thousands homeless and trailing cholera in its wake.
Indira Ganesan's "Sweet as Honey" could be said to be about marriage, but like Virginia Woolf's "To the Lighthouse," which supplies this novel's epigraphs, it is also about love and families and, ultimately, about the passage of time and the ways we experience it.
Coming-of-age novels can be simultaneously enticing and boringly ho-hum. They entice because most readers already have come of age and can be charmed by reliving or reviewing the experience.
'Terrible" rarely modifies "privacy" because we usually think of privacy as highly desirable and hard to achieve. But for Max, the central character of Jonathan Coe's novel "The Terrible Privacy of Maxwell Sim," privacy is rather harrowing.
As its title implies, "World and Town" links the immediate with the long-term by tying the lives of people in the little New England community of Riverlake to those who live - or lived - in distant, seemingly unconnected, places.
AMERICAN FOOD WRITING: AN ANTHOLOGY WITH CLASSIC RECIPES