- No mas: Principal bans Spanish language in intercom announcement
- Hacking software could put ‘zombie drone army’ in user’s hands
- Support for stricter gun laws drops: poll
- 10 whales dead, 41 others stranded in Everglades
- John Boehner faces bipartisan pressure to allow gay-rights vote
- Martin Bashir resigns from MSNBC over ‘ill-judged’ comments about Sarah Palin
- Rep. Duncan Hunter: While Obama prays for Iranian change, U.S. should ready its nukes
- Best company ever? Veteran Beer Co. exists to employ vets, provide quality beer
- Iran official: Sanctions ‘utterly failed’ to stop nuclear program
- ‘Black Santa’ display at IU sparks student outrage
Latest Coast Items
Trey Edmunds took a short pass 26 yards for a first-half touchdown and Eric Kristensen kicked three field goals as Virginia Tech beat Virginia for the 10th consecutive time, 16-6, on Saturday night.
Ross Martin kicked a 27-yard field goal with 2:22 left and No. 24 Duke beat North Carolina 27-25 on Saturday, completing the Blue Devils' improbable run to reach the Atlantic Coast Conference championship game.
The Cavaliers have ended nine consecutive seasons with losses to their conference rival Hokies, and they've dropped eight straight games this season since winning two of their first three. The Hokies have struggled with three losses in their last four games, but still have a chance to win the ACC's Coastal Division, so the stakes will be high on Saturday.
Chattanooga. Idaho. The Citadel. Coastal Carolina.
The loss damaged Virginia Tech's chance of playing for the ACC championship. The Hokies started the game knowing if they beat Maryland and then Virginia next week, and if Duke lost one of its three remaining games, they would win the Coastal Division and a spot in the championship game.
Thomas has turned the ball over four times in each of the Hokies' last two games, a home loss against Duke and a road setback at Boston College. The redshirt senior threw four interceptions against the Blue Devils and two more, along with two fumbles, last week.
Maryland state police and federal agents used a search warrant in an unrelated criminal investigation to seize the private reporting files of an award-winning former investigative journalist for The Washington Times who had exposed problems in the Homeland Security Department's Federal Air Marshal Service.
In most years, the winner of the rivalry game has won the division. Last year was an exception. Virginia Tech beat the Yellow Jackets 20-17 in overtime, but Georgia Tech still played in last year's ACC championship game.
The Tigers received 102 first-place votes in the Atlantic Division, well ahead of the 18 reigning league champion Florida State got. Miami had 65 first-place votes in the Coastal.