- Thai prime minister dissolves Parliament, calls elections
- Hagel to meet with Pakistan’s prime minister
- Kiev: Riot police deployed near protest sites
- Elton John blasts Russia’s anti-gay laws during Moscow concert
- U.N.: Afghanistan slow to enforce law protecting women
- Heart cancels SeaWorld concert after ‘Blackfish’ documentary
- South Carolina sheriff refuses to lower American flag for Nelson Mandela
- South Africans hold day of prayer for Nelson Mandela
- Mandela not on life support in final hours, friend says
- Ukraine protesters topple, decapitate Lenin statue in Kiev
Columbus Blue Jackets
Latest Columbus Blue Jackets Items
Mike Green says he'll need one more day of practice before returning from a lower body bruise.
Mike Green skated without pain on Tuesday, but Capitals coach Adam Oates said his game conditioning is lacking.
Washington's Mikhail Grabovski sent the game to overtime by getting his stick on a loose puck with 1:45 remaining in regulation, capping a back-and-forth third period that awoke the Verizon Center crowd after a sleepy start to the game.
Trey Edmunds had scoring runs of 10, 2, 4 and 1 yards for the Hokies (7-3, 4-2 ACC). Logan Thomas completed 25 of 31 passes for 366 yards, giving him consecutive games of 300 yards or more for the first time in his Virginia Tech career, and the Hokies dominated in all sorts of categories.
Erat began play with 53 points in 57 regular-season games against Columbus — his highest point total against any team — and assisted on Washington's final three goals.
In most years, the winner of the rivalry game has won the division. Last year was an exception. Virginia Tech beat the Yellow Jackets 20-17 in overtime, but Georgia Tech still played in last year's ACC championship game.
The Caps will have to go through a tougher division to make the playoffs and then to reach the East finals. They won the Southeast Division five of the past six seasons but went 8-10-2 against the Penguins, Rangers, Islanders, Devils, Flyers and Hurricanes this year.
This season wasn't much fun in New York for slumping forward Marian Gaborik. He wasn't scoring goals the way he was used to, and he and his Rangers teammates found themselves in an unexpected fight just to get into the playoffs.
NHL owners have made it official: The Detroit Red Wings and Columbus Blue Jackets are heading east.