- Teacher who survived Sandy Hook has book deal
- Jury awards Jesse Ventura $1.8M in case vs. ‘American Sniper’ author Chris Kyle
- Government OKs Arab-owned company to operate U.S. cargo port
- Defense lawyer: McDonnell’s wife had ‘crush’ on CEO
- Chinese hackers stole ‘huge quantities’ of sensitive data on Israel’s Iron Dome
- House unveils bill to speed deportations of illegal immigrant children
- Californians protest middle school for hiring white man to teach cultural studies
- Killer’s sentencing overturned because mother couldn’t find seat in courtroom
- Hillary: ‘Dead broke’ comment was ‘inartful,’ but insists it was ‘accurate’
- Fla. mom arrested for allowing 7-year-old son to walk to park alone
Latest Commonwealth Day Items
Five days before Christmas, Franklin Kury stepped off Amtrak's afternoon Keystone service in Middletown, one stop shy of Harrisburg, on a return trip from an eye doctor's appointment in Philadelphia. It was cold, cloudy and dry. The snow that had fallen two days earlier was beginning to disappear and would be gone entirely if temperatures hit the predicted 70 degrees over the weekend.
Gov. Deval Patrick's State of the State address, as delivered Tuesday to a joint session of the Massachusetts Legislature:
Mr. Speaker, Mr. President, Justices of the Supreme Court, members of the General Assembly, and my fellow Virginians:
Mr. Speaker, Lt. Governor Northam, Attorney General Herring, Members of the General Assembly, Justices of the Supreme Court, guests from across our Commonwealth and nation, my fellow Virginians: It is humbling, and the highest honor of my life, to stand before you today.
Gov. Bob McDonnell has already apologized publicly for the gift scandal that's engulfed his final year in office, but he did it directly to the General Assembly as one of his last acts while in office.
The following is a transcript of Wednesday's Virginia gubernatorial debate between Republican Kenneth T. Cuccinelli II and Democrat Terry McAuliffe, which was moderated by Chuck Todd of NBC News. The transcript was provided by the Fairfax County Chamber of Commerce, the sponsor of the event.
If there can be such a thing as a commonwealth statesman in the 21st century, then Sir Donald McKinnon is its quintessence. Indeed, you might say that he embodies the institution's heritage, with its roots in the British Empire, as well as its multicultural, polyglot contemporary incarnation he guided as secretary-general of the Commonwealth of Nations between 2000 and 2008.
Queen Elizabeth II attended a London reception to celebrate Commonwealth Day on Monday, her first public appearance since she was briefly hospitalized for a stomach illness.
A Virginia Department of Corrections employee paid a prolific criminal with whom he had a homosexual relationship nearly $80,000 in public funds to perform work for the state that was never done, a recent report concludes.