- Texas man arrested for powder-letter hoax
- Islamic State opens ‘marriage bureau’ for single jihadists
- Drone almost blocks California firefighting planes
- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
By David Keene
Allowing states to innovate could reduce dependency on bureaucracy
Topic - Connie Mack
During a Saturday swing through the crucial battleground of Florida, GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney drove home the notion that he will bring a level of bipartisanship to Washington that he says has been missing under President Obama.
In the latest showdown between the two factions fighting for the soul of the GOP, both sides could claim victory in Tuesday's primaries, with tea party candidates winning races in Connecticut and Florida and "establishment" Republicans prevailing elsewhere in Florida and Wisconsin.
Former Sen. George LeMieux dropped out of the Republican primary for Senate on Wednesday, saying that he can't compete against rival Rep. Connie Mack's famous name and the fact that the party establishment has gotten behind the congressman.
Lawmakers say it is time to treat Latin American drug cartels like terrorist organizations, highlighting alarm about possible links between the two kinds of groups after Iran's alleged efforts to recruit drug lords to kill a Saudi diplomat in Washington.
A great manager can steal a half-dozen games a season, tops, but he gets to hold court before and after each and every one. That's when Ozzie Guillen's genius really shines, and why he's the rare skipper who can write his own ticket.
The great thing about being a manager at 80 is that you don't have to worry about what people think.
Mr. Mack said the policy committee "has a unique opportunity to cultivate conservative ideas that will move our nation forward."
Moreover, she said, criminal gangs tend to have "a much greater ability" than terrorist groups to generate new leaders, meaning that "decapitation ... by drone strike" would have only "a fraction of the effectiveness it has" when used against terrorist groups.