- Strong quake hits Japan, triggering tsunami
- Sniper heaven: Pentagon’s self-guided bullets leave enemies nowhere to hide
- Violent gang taking advantage of immigration crisis, using border as recruiting hub
- Medicaid enrollment continues to soar under Obamacare, administration says
- Michelle Obama to Latinos: ‘We cannot afford to wait on Congress’ for immigration
- White House urges GOP to act ‘urgently’ on $3.7 billion request for illegal immigrants
- Politicians, criminals using ‘right-to-be-forgotten’ law EU courts forced upon Google
- Combat fatigue: elite special forces troops are ‘fraying,’ Gen. Joseph Votel warns
- German foreign minister to meet Kerry to discuss spying claims
- Florida police spokesman tells citizens: ‘Get yourself some firearms’
D. Wayne Lukas
Latest D. Wayne Lukas Items
Trainer Mike Maker saddled three horses in the Kentucky Derby.
Wise Dan's final act of 2013 was a big rally to win the Breeders' Cup Mile.
There isn't much left for D. Wayne Lukas to win in thoroughbred racing.
Right from the start, a horse trained by one not so over-the-hill Hall of Famer and ridden by another took control of the Preakness. The result: a huge upset and the end of any hopes for a Triple Crown attempt at the Belmont Stakes.
After Oxbow upset Kentucky Derby winner Orb in Saturday's Preakness to extend racing's Triple Crown drought to 36 years, the next best alternative for the Belmont Stakes is a rematch.
Now that Shug McGaughey has won the Kentucky Derby, it's time for the 62-year-old trainer to go after another race missing from his Hall of Fame resume.
There's nothing in sports quite like the roar and electricity as horses turn for home in the Belmont Stakes with a Triple Crown on the line.
Since Seattle Slew won the 1977 Triple Crown, co-owner Sally Hill has watched from Belmont Park as several horses fell short. Since Affirmed in 1978, co-owner Patrice Wolfson wasn't ready to let go for a long time.
I'll Have Another overcame the challenge of 20 horses in the Kentucky Derby and the first dose of the burden of expectations in the Preakness Stakes. But to complete the Triple Crown, he'll have to deal with being the favorite for the first time.