- Top federal judge uses pizza to explain complex Obamacare situation
- Obama, Biden overhaul job training programs
- Drought-plagued Californians turn to paint to keep lawns green
- ISIL now forcing Iraqi shopkeepers to veil mannequins in Mosul
- 11 parents of Nigeria’s abducted girls die
- Genetic mapping triggers new hope on schizophrenia
- Turkish P.M. Erdogan won’t speak to Obama, but he’ll take calls from Biden
- Israel’s ambassador praises Obama, slams Human Rights Watch report
- Md. parents accused of locking up autistic twin sons
- Dancing Kim Jong-un video sparks North Korea fury
Latest D.C. Vote Items
A measure approved by local lawmakers and D.C. voters that granted the city budget autonomy from the federal government has "no legal effect," according to an opinion released by the investigative arm of Congress.
D.C. residents overwhelmingly cast ballots Tuesday to give the city budget autonomy from Congress, but supporters will be crossing their fingers while counting down the 35 legislative-day period during which federal lawmakers could attempt to derail the approved charter amendment.
For three hours on Friday, a D.C. delegation tried to explain to a panel of New Hampshire legislators why they should obtain rights inherent from birth but not explicitly stated in the Constitution, that the District raises its own money and that Maryland will probably not ask for its land back if the nation's capital is recognized as the 51st state.