- Gentlemen, start your drones: Judge’s ruling opens door for commercial use
- Soldier who hid, bragged about not saluting flag to be punished — in secret
- ‘Maverick’ of the seas: ‘Top Gun’ school for U.S. ship officers to launch
- Putin declares Sochi Paralympics open amid Ukrainian protest
- ‘In Jesus name, we pray’ sparks ire at Ohio council meeting
- Navy’s first laser weapon ready for prime time; drone killer to deploy this summer
- Billionaire backer: Rick Santorum ‘needs to be heard’ in 2016
- Obamacare fallout: 49 percent pessimistic; 45 percent ‘scared’
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
Taxpayers must pay the freight for over-budget train projects
Topic - Diahann Carroll
Diahann Carroll has pulled out of the upcoming Broadway revival of "A Raisin in the Sun" and been replaced by LaTanya Richardson Jackson.
The expectations to honor the 50th anniversary of the March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom are as great and diverse as they were in 1963, when a quarter of a million people sandwiched themselves along the Mall between the Washington Monument and the Lincoln Memorial to prove that we can, should and, indeed, could all get along.
July 15: Actor Alex Karras ("Webster") is 77. Actor Ken Kercheval ("Dallas") is 77. Actor Patrick Wayne is 73. Actor Jan-Michael Vincent is 68. R&B singer Millie Jackson is 68. Guitarist-singer Peter Lewis of Moby Grape is 67. Singer Linda Ronstadt is 66. Drummer Artimus Pyle (Lynyrd Skynyrd) is 64. Actor Terry O'Quinn is 60. Drummer Marky Ramone (The Ramones) is 56. Guitarist Joe Satriani is 56. Actor Willie Aames ("Eight Is Enough," "Charles in Charge") is 52. Model Kim Alexis is 52. Actress Lolita Davidovich is 51. Actor-director Forest Whitaker is 51. Actress Brigitte Nielsen is 49. Drummer Jason Bonham is 46. Actor Kristoff St. John ("The Young and the Restless") is 46. Singer Stokley of Mint Condition is 45. Actor-comedian Eddie Griffin ("Malcolm and Eddie") is 44. Bassist Chi Cheng of Deftones is 42. Actor Scott Foley ("Felicity") is 40. Actor Brian Austin Green is 39. Rapper Jim Jones is 36. Actress Lana Parrilla ("Swingtown") is 35. Guitarist Ray Toro of My Chemical Romance is 35. Singer Kia Thornton of Divine is 31. Actor Tristan Wilds ("90210") is 23.
Since the derision of Team Obama's "The Life of Julia" campaign rolls on at a fast and furious pace, I figured I'd throw in my two cents. Perhaps I'm dating myself, but when I was a kid, a TV series that ran for a few years in the late 1960s and early 1970s that depicted a young nurse going through the struggles of everyday life. The show was also titled "Julia." For purposes of clarity, let me label Team Obama's Julia as "Parasite Julia" while the Julia from the TV show will be "Nurse Julia."
Michael Eric Dyson parses Jay-Z's lyrics as if analyzing fine literature. The rapper's riffs on luxury cars and tailored clothes and his boasts of being the "Mike Jordan of recording" may make for catchy rhymes, but to Mr. Dyson, they also reflect incisive social commentary.
Hal Kanter, an Emmy-winning comedy master who wrote for Bob Hope and Bing Crosby, directed Elvis Presley in "Loving You" and created Diahann Carroll's ground-breaking TV sitcom, has died. He was 92.
"Tonight, she better get this award," Carroll said of Washington, who covered her eyes in embarrassment.