- Obama military downsizing leaves U.S. too weak to counter global threats, panel finds
- Sen. Tom Coburn vows to slow down budget-busting bills ahead of recess
- Obama fantasizes about more executive power, signs new order on federal contractors
- Clintons call Klein, Halper, Kessler ‘a Hat Trick of despicable actors’: report
- Boehner accuses Obama of ‘legacy of lawlessness’
- Pro-marijuana group claims responsibility for Brooklyn Bridge flag swap
- Young adults shun Obamacare mostly due to cost: survey
- Stabbing attack on transgender girl, 15, was ‘bias motivated,’ police say
- LGBT adults still lean overwhelmingly toward Democratic Party
- Lawmakers rattled by Syria genocide horrors, call on Obama to act
Latest Ehud Barak Items
"Man of conflict: Sharon is admired for his unwavering defense of Israel" (Web, Jan. 11) observes that detractors blame former Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon for the failure of peace efforts under then-Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Barak because of Mr. Sharon's "provocative visit to Jerusalem's Temple Mount in September 2000" and the violence that "reignited in the wake of the visit." That narrative has been discredited.
Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel promised Israel Tuesday that he will work with Congress to ensure continued funding for the Iron Dome missile defense system, a senior defense official said after the Pentagon chief met with Israeli Defense Minister Ehud Barak.
Israel's defense minister indicated Sunday that his country was behind an airstrike on Syria that U.S. officials said targeted anti-aircraft weapons bound for the Lebanese militant group Hezbollah.
Israeli Defense Minister Ehud Barak said he won't be a part of the newly formed governing coalition, and he is exiting political life for at least five years, as planned.
Militants in the Gaza Strip pounded southern Israel with rocket fire on Thursday, killing three people as the Israeli military pressed forward with a second day of intense air raids and naval attacks on militant targets. With Israel threatening to invade the Palestinian territory, the heaviest fighting between Israel and Hamas in four years showed no signs of letting up.
The Israeli defense minister says "almost all" Syrian villages near the frontier with Israel have fallen into rebel hands.
Israel braced Wednesday for retaliation from Palestinian militants, including possible suicide bombings within the Jewish state, after killing Hamas' military chief in an airstrike in Gaza City.
Israel's defense minister called for a unilateral pullout from much of the West Bank in published comments Monday, saying Israel must take "practical steps" if peace efforts with the Palestinians remain stalled.
Defense Secretary Leon E. Panetta on Wednesday aimed to reassure Israelis that the U.S. is resolved to prevent Iran's leaders from gaining nuclear arms.