- Islamic State opens ‘marriage bureau’ for single jihadists
- Drone almost blocks California firefighting planes
- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
- U.N. rights chief: Flight MH17 downing possible war crime
Topic - Ellen Countee
The Department of Human Services kept homeless shelters open beyond their usual 7-p.m.-to-7-a.m. hours so homeless people could stay inside during the day, Mrs. Countee said.
"We did activate [Monday] as well," Mrs. Countee said. "We weren't certain the heat index was going to hit the target. It was so close, so warm that [our director] decided to err on the side of caution."