- House and Senate negotiators reach two-year budget deal
- Congress seeks ban on in-flight calls
- Michelle Malkin’s Twitchy site sold to owners of Townhall, HotAir: report
- GM’s Barra to be first woman to run top American carmaker
- China: Poisonous smog is a military asset, if you think about it
- Texas woman admits to sending ricin to Obama
- Ron Paul on son Rand: ‘I think he probably will’ run for president
- Cold War heats up again in the Arctic: Russian airfield reactivated after 20 years
- 6-year-old boy suspended for sexual harassment over kiss
- Voters deciding Mass. congressional contest
By Donald Lambro
Growth spikes are little more than trend-free anomalies
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Topic - Essence Communications Inc.
For years, R&B singer Anthony Hamilton has packed the smaller stages at the Essence Music Festival. This year, though, Hamilton scored a closing Sunday night spot on the festival's main stage, something he's been seeking ever since he got a taste of the event.
Comedian and actor Kevin Hart has been added to the main stage lineup for the 2012 Essence Music Festival in New Orleans.
The Beatles are hitting theaters nationwide.
Newly engaged queen of soul Aretha Franklin is headlining this summer's Essence Music Festival in New Orleans, and its other top performers include Mary J. Blige, Fantasia, Stephanie Mills, Charlie Wilson and Keyshia Cole.
In 1995, Essence Communications Inc. threw a three-day bash in New Orleans for the 25th anniversary of its magazine. Thousands showed up for arguably the largest party ever showcasing black musical talent and culture. Seventeen years later the "party with a purpose" has evolved into the annual Essence Music Festival, a powerful economic engine and pilgrimage point for a tourism-driven city still rebounding from Hurricane Katrina and the Gulf oil spill.
In 1995, Essence Communications Inc. celebrated its magazine's 25th anniversary with a party in New Orleans.
Grammy Award winners Chaka Khan and Jennifer Hudson are joining the 2011 lineup for the Essence Music Festival, which will be held over the Fourth of July holiday weekend in New Orleans, festival organizers said Tuesday.
Fan favorites Mary J. Blige, Trey Songz, Jill Scott and rapper Kanye West are among the headliners for the 2011 Essence Music Festival.