- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
- U.N. warns of Muslim ‘cleansing’ in Central African Republic
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Drug mix may have cured child born with HIV, doctors say
- De Blasio’s wife irks former mansion chef with ‘servant’ remark
- Russia’s neighbors shiver amid Putin’s Cold War moves in Ukraine
- New SAT: The essay portion is to become optional
- Military group can’t march to honor the fallen at Boston Marathon due to security changes
- Senate passes bills deleting ‘retarded’ from laws
- China announces biggest military hike in 3 years: We are not ‘boy scouts with spears’
Latest Football Items
In terms of quarterbacks who played college football in the state of Utah, it appears that the Washington Redskins have the wrong one. While few in the NFL thought much of either former Brigham Young star John Beck or former Utah star Alex Smith entering this season, the Redskins might squeal in joy if they employed the latter rather than the former.
Frank Gore gains his yards in so many ways. He runs over defenders, fakes them out or carries them along for the ride as he grinds first downs for the San Francisco 49ers.
The NBA season is on hold and seems as if it will never start.
The Washington Redskins might secretly be hoping for a case of jet lag for their opponents on Sunday; the kind that puts a West Coast team at a disadvantage when traveling East for a 1 p.m. game.
A YouTube video making the rounds at the Minnesota Capitol these days shows a man slowly opening a gift box as ominous music thumps in the background. He folds back the flaps, reaches in and pulls out a foam rubber cheesehead _ a symbol of the hated Green Bay Packers next door.
One wears a perpetual scowl, his words robotic and succinct. With Nick Saban, it's all about "the process," which means running his football program with the meticulousness of a CEO. It may come across as cold and detached _ even ruthless _ but it sure works.
The LSU and Alabama showdown promises to be a throwback of old-school football.
No. 2 Alabama (8-0, 5-0 SEC) vs. No. 1 LSU (8-0, 5-0), 8 p.m. (CBS).
The Idaho State Board of Education has given Boise State permission to pursue membership with the Big East Conference, a move that would mean more revenue and give the Broncos a clear path to the Bowl Championship Series.