- ‘Tis the Season: London florist creates $4.6 million Christmas wreath
- No tailgating allowed at Super Bowl XLVIII
- Pentagon to transport African troops to Central African Republic
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend’s shopping jumps to his death
- Ukraine leader to talk with protesters; Washington urges caution
- Pope Francis: A nun saved my life
- Israeli P.M. Netanyahu backs out of Mandela funeral
- Elian Gonzalez makes first trip outside Cuba since custody battle
- U.S., British intelligence agents enter online sci-fi world to spy on gamers
- Sarah Palin to host the outdoors show ‘Amazing America’
Latest Francesca Schiavone Items
There was a turn-back-the-clock feel to Day 1 at the 2013 U.S. Open, when both sisters were about as good as can be, dropping a combined four games in Arthur Ashe Stadium.
Lisicki was a 2011 semifinalist at the All England Club. She beat fourth-seeded Agnieszka Radwanska 6-4, 2-6, 9-7 Thursday. Bartoli also asserted control early on, but she never let up in a 6-1, 6-2 victory over Kirsten Flipkens.
The Spaniard survived an early scare Monday and successfully began his bid for an eighth title at Roland Garros by rallying past Daniel Brands of Germany, 4-6, 7-6 (4), 6-4, 6-3.
Novak Djokovic shook off jetlag to beat Andreas Seppi 6-3, 6-4 on Monday to help Serbia beat Italy 2-1 at the Hopman Cup then avoided injury after the match when a courtside barrier collapsed while signing autographs.
Roberta Vinci and Sara Errani planned to eat dinner together Monday and Tuesday, as usual.
A week before the start of the U.S. Open, Ana Ivanovic couldn't walk without pain in her right foot.
Sloane Stephens raised her eyebrows and with a sly smile didn't hesitate in answering the question of whether this American teenager is tennis' next superstar.
Top-seeded Maria Sharapova was knocked out of Wimbledon on Monday, losing 6-4, 6-3 to Sabine Lisicki in the fourth round just a month after completing a career Grand Slam.
Kim Clijsters withdrew from the Unicef Open before the semifinals on Friday because of a stomach muscle strain, saying she did not want to jeopardize playing in her last Wimbledon before retirement.