- Pregnancies decline overall, up among older women
- Pentagon plans to destroy Syrian chemical arms on ship at sea
- Paris Metro issues ‘politeness manual’ to improve passengers’ behavior
- Justin Bieber, crew detained at Australian airport in drug search
- Lee Rigby trial: Muslim who machete-hacked soldier calls it ‘humane’ kill
- GM ending Chevy sales in Europe to focus on Opel and Vauxhall
- Putin’s diplomats to U.S. busted for living high life off $1.5M bilked from Medicaid
- Happy Meal: Couple goes to McDonald’s, leaves with bag packed with cash
- Boehner: It took me 3 to 4 hours to sign up for Obamacare
- Oh my God! Costco lists Bible as fiction, Ron Burgundy memoir as gospel
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Topic - Frank W. Buckles
Frank W. Buckles was buried Tuesday with the pomp and ceremony befitting the man who outlived 4.7 million other Americans who served in World War I.
Frank W. Buckles, age 109, still gives interviews about World War I, of which he is the last living American veteran. By contrast, about 2.08 million American veterans of World War II remain among us, but nearly 1,000 die each day. More than 2.5 million Korean War veterans are still alive, and more than 7.5 million Vietnam vets. Gulf War vets number more than 2.25 million. In all, living veterans from war and peacetime service amount to nearly 24 million, including 1.4 million Americans currently on active duty. This amounts to less than 8 percent of the U.S. population. The other 92 percent of us owe them a debt of gratitude very difficult to repay.
"That's what makes America special," he wrote last year. "As much as we want to avoid war, we're ready to sacrifice everything if that's what it takes to make sure the bad guys don't win."