- Iran mulls ban on vasectomies, decrease on abortions to bolster population
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers ‘more deadly than jihadists’
- Classes resume at high school rocked by stabbings
- ABC News accuses Center for Public Integrity of stealing Pulitzer-winning work
- Law firm that cleared N.J. Gov. Christie in ‘Bridgegate’ gave 10K to RGA, which he heads
- PETA ‘hopping mad’ at Michelle Obama for using real eggs at Easter Egg Roll
- Sneaky Nebraska toddler traps self inside claw machine game
- Biden to lead $600 million work force training effort
- Atheists’ Easter taunt to Christians: ‘Jesus is a myth’
- Miley Cyrus hospitalized, cancels Kansas City show
Latest Gareth Evans Items
In a hypothetical awards contest of epic martial arts smackdowns, "The Raid 2" would win in several key if obscure categories. It has the best hand-to-hand combat ever filmed inside a bathroom stall, the best claw-hammer fight ever shot inside a subway car, and the most intense four-on-one fight in a moving car.
Leaving behind the original's grungy Jakarta tenement setting for the luxurious hangouts of Indonesia's organized crime overlords, "The Raid 2" pumps up its production values several notches. Even so, it's easy to imagine that one of the biggest items on the budget might be the orthopedics bill, since this orgy of broken bones and vicious badassery makes its cult predecessor look like a peevish bitch-slap. Lining up bloody showdowns like the dizzying acts of a hyper-violent ballet, Gareth Evans' sequel invites accusations of, ahem, overkill. But the fanboys will eat it up.
Finally, an action movie that's actually about action.