- PHILLIPS: The benefits of defying ‘common wisdom’
- Judge strikes down Arkansas abortion law — nation’s toughest — as unconstitutional
- Court: Tenn. must recognize 3 same-sex marriages
- Russia claims to have downed U.S. drone over Crimea region; Pentagon denies
- John Daly shoots 90 at PGA Tour event: ‘I’m falling apart’
- Police: Man arrested in West Virginia may be linked to Alexandria killings
- Smile: Equipping cops with body-mounted cameras gains steam in Calif., N.Y.
- Obama to sign bill cutting taxpayer money for party conventions
- Half of Americans worried about second Cold War: poll
- Kermit Gosnell clinic aide who heard aborted baby scream gets 5 to 10 years in prison
Latest Gary Bettman Items
The NHL locked out its players at midnight Saturday, becoming the third major sports league to impose a work stoppage in the last 18 months.
The chance of averting an NHL lockout all but disappeared long before the midnight deadline Saturday, setting up the third major work stoppage of a major sports league in 18 months, following the NFL and NBA.
The NHL said there will be no bargaining with the players' union Saturday, leaving nothing to stop a lockout.
The NHL says there will be no bargaining with the players' union Saturday, leaving nothing to stop a lockout.
With only hours until a threatened NHL lockout, the league and the players' union appear no closer to a deal.
The word "lockout" is looming over another major pro sport, this time the National Hockey League. In question-and-answer form, this is a look at the issues and implications of a work stoppage in the NHL.
The NHL seemed headed for another lockout Friday as neither team owners nor players showed interest in getting back to contract negotiations a day before the old labor deal was set to expire.
With only two days left to avoid another damaging NHL lockout, players and owners huddled in separate circles to discuss what now seems inevitable.
NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman maintains the league will lock out players Sunday if a new labor deal isn't reached, and star player Sidney Crosby isn't optimistic the season will start on time.