- Egypt rights center raided, 2 Mubaraks acquitted
- New Mexico Supreme Court rules same-sex marriage constitutional
- Blame Bush: 5 years later, that’s still the mantra, pollsters find
- Dutch prostitutes demand same retirement benefits as soccer stars
- John McCain to Harry Reid: I’ll ‘kick the crap’ out of you
- Dogs that talk: Researchers seek $10K for ‘No More Woof’ technology
- 1,000 firefighters called to battle stubborn Big Sur wildfire
- Black Friday brouhaha: Millions of Target shoppers hit by credit card theft
- Britain orders airplane to rescue citizens from violent South Sudan
- Mega Millions winner emerges as Georgia mom, in ‘disbelief’
George H. W. Bush
Latest George H. W. Bush Items
These are difficult and perilous times for boys. A distorted culture has robbed them of virtue against which to measure themselves. The good once associated with masculinity in a patriarchal society has been tossed out with the bad. This, alas, is the era of feminist ascendency.
An appeals court struck a blow to a controversial part of President Obama's health care law requiring individuals to either buy health insurance or pay a penalty, ruling Friday that the mandate was unconstitutional but allowing the rest of the law to stand.
After Pearl Harbor, President Franklin D. Roosevelt's presidency changed. As he put it in 1943, "Dr. New Deal" had to be replaced by "Dr. Win the War." It was a colossal policy switch, but it wasn't an extreme makeover politically. He was still the same FDR, and the public understood the need for change.
The nail-biting cliffhanger produced something that didn't pass mental math. To raise America's $14.3 trillion federal debt ceiling hours ahead of Tuesday's deadline by $2.4 trillion in two stages while committing to equal spending cuts over 10 years - still with me? - was more fool's bargain than bargain basement.
It's now called the Doctrine of Restoration, diplomatic jargon for rebuilding America before China eats our lunch. After blowing a trillion dollars on the Iraq war over the last 10 years and establishing a 1,400-strong U.S. Embassy in Baghdad only to see Iran emerge with more influence in Iraq than the United States, it is time for Looney Tunes' Bugs Bunny to burst on the national stage and ask, "What's up, Doc?"
NASA has scheduled the final launch of the space shuttle Atlantis for Friday. This 12-day mission to the International Space Station not only will be the final space-shuttle flight, but, without a serious course correction, augurs the end of America's pre-eminence in space altogether.
Geraldine Ferraro, who in 1984 became the first female vice presidential candidate on a major U.S. party ticket, died Saturday in Boston, a family spokeswoman said.
In the long run, conservatives are going to look back on the day Barack Obama threw the Defense of Marriage Act under the bus with a special fondness. With a flick of his presidential wrist, he has just freed future GOP presidents from having to defend the unconstitutional laws that liberal Congresses have been spewing out for the last century.
We look at the children of former presidents, who married while their dads worked in the Oval Office.