- Venezuela’s Maduro calls on student ‘price vigilantes’ to hit the streets, report businesses
- Atheists smug as Hindus join Satanists to demand display at Oklahoma Statehouse
- Bow before Valkyrie, NASA’s ‘superhero robot’ entry in DARPA challenge
- 10-year-old Pennsylvania boy suspended for pretend bow-and-arrow shooting
- Tea partiers turn on Capitol Hill budget deal
- Budget deal to get quick vote in the House
- Comma on!: Twitter erupts over Obama-Castro ‘marriage’
- Sebelius calls for review of Obamacare rollout woes
- American dream dying, but many see free market as solution: Poll
- Air Force base in South Carolina boots Nativity scene
Latest george miller Items
Polling indicates most Americans think more must be done to get kids ready for kindergarten, yet federal sequestration spending cuts to Head Start are being felt across the country — and especially by low-income children.
A bipartisan bill that would reduce the costs of borrowing for millions of students passed the House on Wednesday and was heading to President Obama for his signature.
Twenty members of Congress have sent a letter to the Boy Scouts of America, urging it to drop its ban on gay youth and adults.
In political battles to raise the minimum wage, activists love to trot out a handful of business owners who support new mandates. These so-called "high road" employers - part of an umbrella group called Business for a Fair Minimum Wage - act as a foil for other businesses who warn of the consequences of forcing higher labor costs on low-margin employers.
In a potential replay of last year's stand-off, more than 7 million college students could again be threatened with a doubling of the interest rate on their school loans July 1 if Congress fails to act.
Sen. Tom Harkin and Rep. George Miller's proposal for a $10.10 minimum wage -- a 39 percent increase over the current level -- is a recipe for employment disaster ("Democrats propose measure to raise minimum wage," Web, Tuesday).
Democrats in Congress proposed legislation Tuesday to boost the federal minimum wage to more than $10, going beyond what President Obama has proposed and arguing the working poor need the extra support amid a sour economy.
Fresh from the November elections in which both parties complained that voters' rights had been curtailed, House Democrats are pushing election reforms as a central tenet of their legislative agenda for the new Congress.
On strict party-line votes, a key House panel on Tuesday cleared the final two pieces of the Republican education-reform agenda.