- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
- U.N. warns of Muslim ‘cleansing’ in Central African Republic
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Drug mix may have cured child born with HIV, doctors say
- De Blasio’s wife irks former mansion chef with ‘servant’ remark
- Russia’s neighbors shiver amid Putin’s Cold War moves in Ukraine
- New SAT: The essay portion is to become optional
- Military group can’t march to honor the fallen at Boston Marathon due to security changes
- Senate passes bills deleting ‘retarded’ from laws
- China announces biggest military hike in 3 years: We are not ‘boy scouts with spears’
By Tammy Bruce
Topic - Gerald Laird
Detroit newcomers Joe Nathan and Joba Chamberlain each pitched a scoreless inning to help the Tigers beat the Atlanta Braves 5-2 on Thursday.
Justin Upton, acquired with Johnson from Arizona in a seven-player trade on Thursday, had his first news conference on Tuesday. Brother B.J. was in the audience with the brothers' beaming parents, Manny and Yvonne.
Sergio Romo closes it out by throwing a called third strike past Triple Crown winner Miguel Cabrera.
Marco Scutaro comes through again for the Giants _ who else?
Smart pitching. Clutch hitting. Sharp fielding. Plus an MVP Panda.
Gregor Blanco is chasing down line drives in left field, laying down perfect bunts and making run-saving relay throws.
There could have been some infighting when the Detroit Tigers were languishing below .500 midway through the season, or even when they trailed the Chicago White Sox deep into September.
By no means is this an attempt to pick on Tim Welke. He suffered enough in 1998, when a Sports Illustrated cover featured his photo and an incendiary headline: "Kill the Umps! Missed calls and skewed strike zones are marring the postseason."
Previewing the National League.
Previewing the American League.
A team-by-team look at the National League entering spring training, including key players each club acquired and lost, and dates of the first workout for pitchers and catchers, and the full squad:
A team-by-team look at the American League entering spring training, including key players each club acquired and lost, and dates of the first workout for pitchers and catchers, and the full squad:
David Freese homered in the 11th inning to give the Cardinals a 10-9 victory over Texas in Game 6 of the World Series, capping one of the wildest, most exciting finishes in baseball history.
Allen Craig homers off Derek Holland with one out in the eighth inning and St. Louis trims its deficit to 7-5. The Rangers are four outs from their first World Series championship.
Mike Adams retires Rafael Furcal with the bases loaded to end the eighth. Leading 7-5, the Texas Rangers are three outs from their first World Series championship.
Laird said he was day to day.
He caught the first inning but said his back was bothering him so much he allowed a passed ball.