- Bomb squad called after live WWII artillery washes on Cape Cod beach
- HAYDEN: Intelligence, evidence and the case against Russia
- Ohio university quiz implies atheists are naturally smarter than Christians
- Rep. Henry Cuellar on border crisis: ‘Playing defense on the one-yard line’
- Activists vow to occupy fast-food restaurants to get higher pay
- Rep. Luis Gutierrez: Senate Dems wary of immigration politics
- Summer camp for 1 percenters: Sushi, limos and shopping at FAO Schwarz
- Colorado gun crackdown law found to be built on faulty data
- Hank Aaron steps to fundraising plate for Democrat Michelle Nunn
- ISIL terrorists blow up burial site of Jonah, vow more of same
Latest Germany Items
The Americans opened with a 2-1 win over Ghana on Monday behind John Brooks' 86th-minute goal, while Portugal dropped an embarrassing 4-0 defeat to Germany. When Ghana and Germany tied 2-2 on Saturday, the U.S. was suddenly in position to clinch advancement with a win Sunday.
The USMNT is hanging on in the Group of Death, but they face tough Portugal team on Sunday that could give them a lot of problems.
Lionel Messi goes back into the spotlight on Saturday as Argentina face Iran in a game that could secure them a pass to the next round.
Ghana held Germany to a 2-2 draw on Saturday despite veteran striker Miroslav Klose coming on as a substitute to tie the World Cup scoring record with the equalizer in their Group G match.
An 89-year-old Pennsylvania man is wanted by Germany for charges of helping to slay 216,000 Jews during World War II.
Aron Johannsson replaced Altidore for the second half against Ghana. Chris Wondolowski is the other striker in the squad who could join Clint Dempsey in the attack.
When his playing career ended in 1998, Klinsmann moved to Orange County with his wife, the former model Debbie Chin. He became the U.S. coach-in-waiting until finally succeeding Bob Bradley in July 2011, after the Americans struggled in the CONCACAF Gold Cup.
Ukraine's new president on Wednesday promised a unilateral cease-fire as a start toward ending the fighting that has wracked the country's east, a potential major development in efforts to bring peace to the deeply polarized nation.
Portugal was reduced to 10 men when Pepe was red carded in the 37th minute for apparently head-butting Mueller as the German player sat on the ground.