- Obama ‘cavalier’ in hiding foreign aid order, judge rules
- Prince Charles: Muslims are driving Christians from Mideast through persecution
- Gitmo’s first commander: Close the prison down
- Google’s newest photography find: Just wink and shoot
- Detroit’s Heidelberg art project hit by 8 fires in 8 months
- Pa. police pull people over for random DNA tests for feds
- NASA pushing hard to get back into space game
- Harvard student to face federal charges for bomb hoax
- Ronnie Biggs of ‘Great Train Robbery’ fame dies, 84
- Pope Francis wins another ‘Person of the Year’ — from gay rights magazine
Latest Giuseppe Verdi Items
Fast-rising soprano Corinne Winters, just 30, will bring an infusion of youth to the role of Violetta when the Wolf Trap Opera Company performs "La Traviata" at Wolf Trap's Filene Center in Vienna. Miss Winters, a native of Frederick, Md., is making her American debut in the role after performing it in opera houses abroad.
"Show Boat" is Francesca Zambello's directing debut in her role as artistic director of the WNO, succeeding Placido Domingo.
Verdi: The Complete Works (75-CD boxed set) Decca.
Dustin Hoffman's directorial debut is a gentle, lighthearted movie that works as a vehicle to showcase the considerable talents of its aging stars.
Diana Damrau recalled when she learned the Metropolitan Opera's new production of "Rigoletto" would be set in the glitzy Rat Pack-era Las Vegas of 1960, not 16th-century Mantua.
Dustin Hoffman's directing bow at 75 finds a perfect match in the well-heeled subject of "Quartet," a charming tale of aging musicians whose passion for life continues undiminished in a stately English manor filled with humor, caring and of course great music. This optimistic fairy tale about aging and the continuing possibilities it offers for emotional satisfaction should strike the fancy of older audiences who turned the British indie "The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel" into a breakout hit released around the world. Leading a cast of real-life musical veterans, Maggie Smith and Tom Courtenay put the stamp of quality on a lush-looking production, albeit one that adheres to genre rules with an iron grip.
A 482-year-old youth has arrived in Washington as part of a campaign many see as aimed at countering Italy's current negative economic image.
Richard Wagner won over La Scala's ardent Verdi followers during the gala season premiere on Friday with a production of `'Lohengrin" that packed surprises -- including the last-minute arrival of German soprano Annette Dasch in the role of Elsa after two singers fell ill with the flu.
The famed La Scala opera house inaugurated its 2012-13 season Friday with the Teutonic classic `'Lohengrin" as it launched dual bicentennial celebrations of its own Giuseppe Verdi and German icon Richard Wagner.