- Strong quake hits Japan, triggering tsunami
- Sniper heaven: Pentagon’s self-guided bullets leave enemies nowhere to hide
- Violent gang taking advantage of immigration crisis, using border as recruiting hub
- Medicaid enrollment continues to soar under Obamacare, administration says
- Michelle Obama to Latinos: ‘We cannot afford to wait on Congress’ for immigration
- White House urges GOP to act ‘urgently’ on $3.7 billion request for illegal immigrants
- Politicians, criminals using ‘right-to-be-forgotten’ law EU courts forced upon Google
- Combat fatigue: elite special forces troops are ‘fraying,’ Gen. Joseph Votel warns
- German foreign minister to meet Kerry to discuss spying claims
- Florida police spokesman tells citizens: ‘Get yourself some firearms’
By Robert N. Tracci
Congress must use its appropriations power to secure the border
Topic - Gregory Porter
Dianne Reeves, "Beautiful Life" (Concord)
Gregory Porter's music doesn't fit neatly into any one category, but that hasn't stopped the soul-jazz singer from picking up Grammy nominations for his first three albums.
Three American college students detained for several harrowing days in Egypt before obtaining their release as deadly protests swept Cairo have flown home to freedom, one describing an ordeal so terrifying he wasn't sure he would survive it.
Three American students arrested during a protest in Cairo caught flights out of Egypt early Saturday, according to an airport official and an attorney for one of the trio.
Three American students arrested during a protest in Cairo and ordered released by an Egyptian court are in the midst of being processed by authorities there, a U.S. Embassy spokeswoman said Friday.
A court in Egypt has ordered the release of three U.S. students arrested during a protest in Cairo, a lawyer confirmed Thursday.
Three young Americans held in Egypt since Sunday, including 19-year-old Georgetown University student Derrik Sweeney, are set to be released, and family and friends hope they're back in the U.S. within days.
"My mother was constantly fighting for us to stand up straight in a room where the ceiling was constantly coming down on us," Porter said. "I'm trying to sing something that's elevating ... and hopefully the people listening will be moved in a similar way."
And his new album "Liquid Spirit" has garnered nominations for both jazz vocal album and traditional R&B performance for the soulful ballad, "Hey Laura," about a man Porter says "really hasn't quite figured out that the relationship is over."